Dental Emergency

If you think you need urgent treatment, contact your usual dental practice and ask to be seen as an emergency. If you do not have a regular dentist, you can still get urgent care. Contact your NHS England Local Area Team or call NHS 111.

You may need urgent treatment if you have:

  • Toothache or swelling that suggests an infection of a tooth or gum.
  • Severe toothache or facial pain which is not controlled by taking over-the-counter painkillers.
  • Trauma of the face, mouth or teeth after a recent accident or injury.
  • A permanent tooth being knocked out.
  • Bleeding after tooth extraction that you cannot control.
  • Serious swelling of the mouth or face which is getting worse.